Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day 4 - Miss Pineapple's Order

Yesterday was a good day all around... Although I always wish I could pump out more flowers in any given day, I'm making really good progress. I made 25 peach colored ranunculus flowers which consist of a center that is individually cut into tiny slivers and each flower has 20-25 petals individually made and attached. Doesn't seem like a lot of flowers but it's a lot of work. Also, I attached all the completed flowers to the stems, finished Miss Pineapple's bouquet and 5 boutonnieres.
I have to say, if I don't have big muscles in my arms before this order is completed, something is wrong. My arms are seriously being worked by kneading all the clay I've been using to create the colors for the bouquet. I'm a clay flower making machine... LOL...

On a side note, my web page views were up to a whopping 596 yesterday. I can only assume that it's due to the Something Old Something New blog post and possibly more people listening to my podcast interview. I also had a chance to spend time with my son. Yesterday was picture day and he had a play-date with kids at school so the moms could meet and we could all know who the kids are.

At any rate, these are the pictures of Miss Pineapple's bouquet. She's going to add her own ribbon, but I thought for the sake of these pictures it would be nice to show the finished piece. I really think it came out beautifully. Victorian Elegance for sure. The boutonnieres are simple, but I think they will look nice with the varying copper colored ties the groomsmen will be wearing.

I had to take one last picture of all the flowers on stems that are still patiently waiting to be put into bouquets. I couldn't resist. It's the first time I felt like a "FLORIST"... You know that feeling when you walk into a floral shop and see bunches and bunches of amazingly beautiful flowers... That's how I felt this morning. I normally don't get large bouquet orders so it kind of hit me as I was taking the pictures. The only difference is there is no floral fragrance wafting through my workspace! LOL....

Another day that will be a busy one. My goal = light peach peonies with copper centers and purplish mauve Victorian roses... Lots still to do...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been a big admirer of your work ever since Miss Pineapple first wrote about you! You do such amazing things!! I was wondering- are there any precautions that need to be taken when handling the bouquets? How delicate or easily broken are they? And if you were to display them in your house in a vase or something, would they need to be kept in any certain conditions... out of sunlight, etc? Just curious! Keep up the fabulous work!

DK Designs said...

Jessica@budgetsavvybride, thank you for your compliments. The flowers are quite durable. You obviously would want to put excessive force to the bouquet or drop it it. I think basically handle it like you would a fresh flower bouquet. You don't want to expose the flowers to long periods of direct sunlight or water or any kind of liquids. You could find a vase tall enough to support the stems of the bouquet and display it like a centerpiece. Dust... well, anything will collect dust. Simply dust with a feather duster or use those compressed air cans to spray off the dust. Simple as that. :)